Today’s tour begins at 6:30pm at Babies by the Sea then continues to Seaside Market. Clinical Nutritionist, Christa talks about “The Five Trimesters” – Nutrition and Pregnancy.
If you missed it, or need a copy of the recipes sampled in today’s tour, here they are:
Homemade Chicken Soup
1 Whole organic Chicken (cut chicken length wise)
1 bag of organic carrots
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 bunch celery
1 bunch Italian parsley
2 to 3 tablespoons of grape seed oil (or choose any high heat oil)
1. Get stock pot hot add grape seed oil
2. Salt skin side of chicken add to hot pan, sear chicken until golden
3. Add sliced up yellow onion along side of chicken until golden as well.
4. Flip over chicken when gold and crispy, add more salt to inside of chicken,
5. Add celery and continue to sauté for about 5 more minutes
6. Fill top of the stock pot with high quality water and add ½ bag of carrots
7. Bring to boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 6-8 hours
8. Check water level and add more water if it reduces by half
* Cook additional 20 minutes if water is added
Dreamy Raw Almond Hummus
2 ½ cups raw almonds, soaked at least 12 hours
¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon raw tahini
¾ tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 ½ tsp cumin
¼ cup + 2 Tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup + 3 Tablespoon lemon juice
¾ cup water
¾ tsp salt
1. In a food processor, grind down drained and rinsed almonds.
2. Add remaining ingredients minus ½ the water.
3. Begin to puree the ingredients together, adding remaining water
4. Puree until you reach a creamy texture.
5. Taste and adjust any seasonings to your liking.
½ cup arame
1 teaspoon mirin
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2-3 shallots, diced
2 cups button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 carrot, sliced into matchstick-shape pieces
3 stalks broccoli, florets and stems diced
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
1. Rinse arame well and set aside. It will soften in a few minutes without soaking.
2. Place arame in a small saucepan with enough water to cover halfway.
3. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
4. Season lightly with shoyu and mirin and cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
5. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
6. Add the shallots and cook; stirring until translucent, about 5 min.
7. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until wilted.
8. Add the carrots and cook stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
9. Finally, stir in broccoli and season lightly with shoyu.
10. Cover and cook over low heat until broccoli is bright green, crispy and tender, about 4 minutes.
11. Stir in arame and sunflower seeds.
12. Transfer to bowl and serve warm.
Nicole’s Magic Meatloaf
2 lbs grass fed ground beef or use ground turkey
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 tablespoons organic butter
1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 ½ cups gluten free bread crumbs
1 cup raw cream or substitute with an egg
4 tablespoons organic ketchup
salt to taste
1. Saute onions, carrots and celery until onions are translucent
2. Add garlic and saute a few more minutes
3. Add chili, thyme and salt to taste
4. Soak bread crumbs in cream or egg
5. Using your hands mix meat with sautéed vegetables, soaked bread crumbs
6. Form into a loaf and set in a 9” X 13” pan
7. Spread ketchup on top of the meatloaf
8. Add about 1 cup of water to the pan
9. Bake in 350° preheated oven for about 1 ½ hours